Browse

Mouseover to zoom or click to enlarge

Hornby R3540 Wainwright H Class 0-4-4T SR

Product code: AA7735
£115.00
  • In stock
Quantity - +

Gauge 00

DCC Type DCC Ready

Operator/Livery SR

Age Suitability 14+

Wheel Configuration 0-4-4

Special Features

NEM Couplings

he H Class was Harry Wainwright’s solution to updating the ageing 2-4-0 and 0-4-2T stock running on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway at the turn of the 20th century and was very much a development of Kirtley’s R Class and subsequent R1 design. Sixty six locomotives were built by Ashford Works, with No.540 being the first engine delivered on November 7, 1904 and No.184 the last, in April 1915.

Initially spread across the SECR region, from Bricklayers Arms down to Hastings and Ramsgate and various sheds in between, the engines operated on short haul suburban services such as Orpington and Tonbridge into the London termini, as well as from the coastal towns to Ashford and Tonbridge. Allocations and duties stayed fairly constant through to Grouping in 1923, with the addition of Reading-Redhill Branch services and the operation of semi-fast trains from Maidstone East into London Victoria during 1918/19. Following Grouping, services expanded to include East Grinstead, Horsham, Eastbourne and Brighton.

World War II saw some passenger services being curtailed, carriage piloting and shunting duties introduced and the loan of three engines to the LMS for operation on the Arbroath local services, receiving the 2P designation. Wartime servicing conditions led to two engines being condemned for use as spares, but the remaining sixty four entered British Rail stock in 1948. Withdrawal of D3, R and R1 classes in March 1949 led to a shortage of engines available for motor-train services and so the salvaged equipment was fitted to forty five of the class between 1949 and 1961. With electrification impacting on the H Class duties, their area of operation contracted and by January 1964, the final three engines were withdrawn, having been replaced by DEMU stock.

Locomotive No.1324 was built at Ashford Works in May 1907, entering traffic as No.324 at Ashford. In 1924, now at Tonbridge, the locomotive provided through train services between the Eastern and Central sections of the Southern Railway, an unusual event for the time, but one that became commonplace. Renumbered as No.31324 under British Railways, the locomotive was withdrawn from Three Bridges in July 1962.

Bourton Model Railway - Thu May 24 16:52:16 BST 2018 [web4]