DCC Type: DCC Ready
Designer: James Holden/Sir Nigel Gresley
Entered Service: 1933
Detail: Diecast body and Removable Coal Load
Motor: 3 Pole with Flywheel
Wheel Configuration: 4-4-0
Special Features: Cab detail, NEM Couplings,
The Class D16/3 locomotives were a
derivative of a locomotive reputedly designed by James Holden, CME of
the GER but commonly believed to be the work of his Chief Draughtsman at
the Stratford Works, Frederick V. Russell. The original locomotive was
numbered 1900 after the year that it was built and named “Claud
Hamilton” after the then Lord Claud Hamilton (1843–1925), the chairman
of the Great Eastern Railway. The “Claud Hamilton” was exhibited at the
1900 Paris Exhibition and was awarded a gold medal.
The 4-4-0 wheel configured locomotive was
quickly followed by an order for an additional forty locomotives which
were built between the years of 1900 and 1903 and were classified by the
GER as S46 (later to be classified as LNER D14s) but very quickly became
known as “Clauds”. Soon after these S46, further batches were produced
between the years of 1904 – 1911 and were fitted with Belpaire boilers
and classified as D56 (later to become D15s). The final batch of ten
engines, this time classified by the GER as H88, later to become LNER
D16s, were built in 1923 and fitted with 5’ 1” diameter superheated
Belpaire boilers and were aptly named “Super Clauds”.
In total 121 of these variants on the
original locomotive were built with some 117 being transferred to
British Railways in 1948. Prior to this there was a tremendous amount of
rebuilding visited on the Class. The D15 locomotives were the residue of
the original D15s, plus the earlier D14 engines, which had been rebuilt
with Belpaire boilers. Many of these locomotives were later rebuilt as
D16/2s and D16/3s. Any remaining locomotives in this group were
converted to D15/2s and but simply known as D15s.
The classification D16/1 was given to the
original D16 locomotives, which had short smoke boxes but were all
rebuilt later with longer smoke boxes and given the Class number D16/2.
Those D16 locomotives built in 1923 (Super Clauds) together with certain
rebuilt D15 Class locomotives also became part of the Class D16/2,
however many were later rebuilt and classed as D16/3s with some being
rebuilt in BR days. In short the D16/3 engines (Rebuilt Clauds) were
introduced by Sir Nigel Gresley in 1933 and were rebuilds of D14, D15,
and D16/2 engines with superheated round topped boilers plus other
mechanical and cosmetic changes. By 1949 a total of 104 D16/3s had been
rebuilt and proved to be efficient and equal to the earlier variants of
the B12 locomotives.
When first introduced the “Clauds” were the
largest and most powerful locomotives on the GER and were used on the
express routes of the region. At Grouping in 1923 the Clauds were
allocated across the Eastern region with one on shed at Doncaster but
the vast majority were based at Stratford, Ipswich and Cambridge. From
the 1932 “Clauds” were used extensively for passenger work from
Cambridge to London, which continued until 1938.
As previously mentioned total of 117 Clauds
survived into Nationalisation in 1948, of which fourteen were D15s
however the remaining D15s and D16/2s were quickly withdrawn.
The withdrawal of the D16/3s actually
commenced in 1945 but during this time the Clauds were still being used
quite extensively on the Eastern region. In 1949 eight Clauds were
allocated to the Cheshire Lines where exLNER preferred the familiar
workings of this type of locomotive than the less familiar LMS engines.
Spares for the D16/3 locomotives began to
become a problem and by 1955 a more concerted programme of withdrawal of
the Class commenced with No. 62613 being the last to be withdrawn in
Originally built as a Class D56 (LNER Class
D15) Locomotive 1825 first went to traffic in December 1909. After
Grouping the locomotive’s number was changed to 8825 in 1925 and then
again in 1942 when the number was changed to 7695. By this time the
classification of the locomotive had been changed to D16/3. In April
1942 the number was changed once more to 2576 and finally to 62576 after
Nationalisation in 1948.
The first shed that the locomotive was based
at was Norwich but by the time the locomotive was withdrawn from service
in September 1957, 62576 was on shed at 31A Cambridge.
Locomotive 62576, formerly 8825 was
eventually scrapped at the BR Stratford Works in October 1957.
Suitable rolling stock: R4572, R4573, R4574,