DCC Type: DCC Ready
Designer: Arthur H. Peppercorn
Entered Service: 1949
Detail: Diecast Body
Purpose: Mixed Traffic
Special Features: Cab detail, NEM Couplings,
Inspired by Thompson’s rebuilt Gresley K4 in
which it was reclassified as a K1/1, the only locomotive in that
particular Class, A. H. Peppercorn took advantage of Thompson’s
retirement in 1946 to develop the design into the K1 Class.
The K1 Class, which was made up of 70
locomotives, were all built in Glasgow at the North British Locomotive
Company’s Park Works over a 10 month period between May 1949 and March
1950. As was the North British Locomotive Company’s all of the Class
were sent to Eastfield shed, Glasgow for running in before being sent to
England where they were used for both freight and express passenger
Thirty of the Class were sent to the Eastern
Region while the remaining forty were dispatched to the North Eastern
Region. Many of the North Eastern K1s were often seen as far North as
Edinburgh and early on in their working life were regularly used on the
West Highland line. A significant number of those allocated to the
Eastern Region were based at March.
All of the Class were fitted with electric
lighting and self-cleaning smoke boxes identified with an SC plate
situated just beneath the shed plate while some were fitted with AWS
(Automatic Warning System). The first 50 K1 locomotives were outshopped
in black with “British Railways” emblazoned on the tender while the
remaining twenty were released with the early BR crest. From 1957 all of
the Class received the BR emblem.
As described the Class were used throughout
the former LNER network as they were proven to be an incredible mixed
traffic locomotive with each of the Class being paired with a 4200
gallon tender as used with the LNER/BR Class B1 locomotive. By 1958 the
K1s were starting to be transferred from the Great Eastern Region with
the result that by 1961 only eight remained at March, however by the
middle of 1962 these had been moved to Retford and Doncaster.
Withdrawal of the K1s began in December 1962
but it was a very slow demise as it took a full five years before the
last locomotive, which was 62005 was withdrawn from service on the
Eastern Region in 1967. Luckily 62005 survived into preservation and can
be seen operating at the time of writing on the North Yorkshire Moors
Railway. K1 Class locomotive number 62027 was outshopped from the North
British Company Works in August 1949. By 1951 the locomotive was on shed
at 52C Blaydon where it remained but by 1963 was rostered to 52K
Consett, eventually ending its working days at 52F North Blyth, being
withdrawn from service in March 1967.
Locomotive 62027 was removed to Arnott
Young, Dinsdale, where in May 1967 the locomotive was finally scrapped.
Suitable rolling stock: R4651, R4652, R4653,
R4575A, R4576A, R4648, R4649, R4675, R4650, R4521B, R4522B, Freight
rolling stock of the period.
Colour and contents of products may vary
from those illustrated